|All the tales of the Valar and the Elves are so knit together that one may scarce expound any one without needing to set forth the whole of their great history.|
|Reply To Journal Entry|
| Journal Main Read Journal Entry|
Princes of Dol Amroth
February, 25 2006
Questions about the life and times of Imrahil and his family can be asked here, including questions about Ultimatums, Kin-Strife and the shorter stories. Discussions about Brand can go either here or in the Best-Loved Son thread, since his stories sort of overlap both cycles.
Passages 8: This was a very enjoyable chapter, sad and funny by turns. A few small moments that I loved, which jumped out even more upon a second reading:
- Amrothos going off to war just to meet with dwarves
- Brand's shock over a disheveled Imrahil
- Gaelwyn scolding Imrahil, and the staff's obvious worry over their beloved lord
- the exuberant esquires (and "princess" Hethlin)
- Brand calling over Hethlin to help his uncle's mood, the little schemer
- of course, the Imrahil/black swan comparison, especially right after hearing the battle story from the former Black Swan himself
- and Hethlin's minor panic at being left alone with Imrahil in the mood he was suddenly in
I had to wonder at Mistress Gaelwyn's observations on those last two; she strikes me as a sharp-eyed individual.
I wondered, among other things:
1. When and how does Imrahil learn that Brand knows about his feelings for Heth? It was a bit of a surprise for me when Brand daringly told Imrahil that Heth really does like him, as Imrahil's gentle teasing about Brand's own crush on Heth (early in the story) then seems a bit hypocritical in a way. But maybe they've reached a sort of brotherhood over it, too.
2. Why does Heth sit "with enough force to almost slop cider from her mug" at the table with Imrahil and Brand? Was she simply startled by Imrahil's presence, or was she angry about something or trying to avoid him? Is it related to why Imrahil questioned her over who she thought was sitting with Brand? It seemed a bit tense for some reason (or maybe it's just me!), and they'd had such an easy relationship on the Foam-Flyer.
3. How much time has Imrahil actually spent in Dol Amroth during the last two years?
4. Is the testing for the esquires going to happen before riding off to Dale?
Thanks for giving us another wonderful continuation!
Because we have been getting a lot of spam, we now have a security number which you have to enter in order to post a journal reply. In the field marked validation number, enter four nine seven three as a four place number.
Tolkien Characters, Locations, & Artifacts © Tolkien Estate & Designated Licensees - All Rights Reserved
Stories & Other Content © The Respective Authors - All Rights Reserved
Software & Design © 2003 - 2015 Michael G Kellner All Rights Reserved
Hosted by:Raven Studioz