Tolkien Fan Fiction Home Tolkien Fan FictionAll the tales of the Valar and the Elves are so knit together that one may scarce expound any one without needing to set forth the whole of their great history.
Read Journal Entry
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Journal Main Page  Altariel's Journal  Back
Altariel's Journal
All shall love me and despair
Profile:Altariel


Blog_display


:

Games of Chess

By:Altariel
 February, 28 2006

Stories in which the game of chess plays an important part...

   ~~~

Although I'm rubbish at chess, it does provide a good backbone for a story. Who else should be playing Faramir?


  Post A Comment

[1] 2 3
22 replies


 [1] Oh, I would definitely like to see him take on Arwen at some point, since Hethlin suggested it at the end of CMC. (Somewhere, somewhen, I read a story where he plays chess against Arwen, but I can't remember the title or author. That Arwen was much less approachable than the one in the Unabeauverse, however.)

And how about Eowyn? Does she know how, or would Faramir be teaching her? It could be an opportunity to explore some marital growth soon after their reconcilliation in GoC, when the promise of change is mixed more with the reality of day to day life. Not that I like to see Eowyn and angst, oh nonono... ;)

Or Eomer? Somewhere between the end of GoC and Fair Game, he comes to respect Faramir, although I can easily see more conversation along the lines of "Horses and Verses," so you might feel that's been done already, in a way. I can imagine them having very different playing styles, too.

Denise
Posted:Feb 28, 2006 14:17 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [2] Interesting question. I am no chess player, barely know the moves the different pieces make, so I cannot imagine how hard it would be to describe a game between Faramir and Amrothos, but I imagine it would be interesting, perhaps as an examination of ways that Amrothos is brilliant and yet in some ways unable to anticipate the consequences of his designs. I imagine the two of them would be pretty well-matched at chess overall, but the game might last for days...

Rebecca
Posted:Feb 28, 2006 18:44 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [3] Denise wrote: I read a story where he plays chess against Arwen, but I can't remember the title or author.

Could it be Queen's Gambit by A.L. Milton? Faramir takes his clothes off in that one.

And how about Eowyn? Does she know how, or would Faramir be teaching her?

For some reason, I have this strong feeling that Faramir and Eowyn play one game of chess in the course of their marriage, and it ends with her throwing the board at him ;-D

Or Eomer? Somewhere between the end of GoC and Fair Game, he comes to respect Faramir, although I can easily see more conversation along the lines of "Horses and Verses," so you might feel that's been done already, in a way. I can imagine them having very different playing styles, too.

That's an interesting one. At the start of Fair Game, Eomer is sending up Faramir's passion for chess too. Perhaps he's lost to him too often. I bet they would have different styles: Faramir would be all about forward thinking and careful moves, Eomer would throw everything he had at the other side - risky, but sometimes it would pay off spectacularly. A bit like the way Bron and Elfwine fight each other at the start of Fair Game, actually.

Altariel
Posted:Mar 5, 2006 06:18 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [4] Rebecca wrote: I cannot imagine how hard it would be to describe a game between Faramir and Amrothos, but I imagine it would be interesting, perhaps as an examination of ways that Amrothos is brilliant and yet in some ways unable to anticipate the consequences of his designs.

Eee, Amrothos playing chess would be scary to write! They do have a game in The Lost, but it's mainly an excuse to have something to look at rather than each other while they have a conversation about emotions. Like you say, I can imagine Amrothos becoming so distracted by the elegance of the design of one of his strategies that he doesn't notice a tiny but fatal flaw in its basic premise.

Altariel
Posted:Mar 5, 2006 06:21 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [5] Could it be Queen's Gambit by A.L. Milton? Faramir takes his clothes off in that one.

Yes, that was it! "Faramir takes his clothes off" - as accurate and misleading as she promised in the intro. :)
I had forgotten that she gave Dwim and yourself credit for the chess game development.

For some reason, I have this strong feeling that Faramir and Eowyn play one game of chess in the course of their marriage, and it ends with her throwing the board at him ;-D

LOL! Yes, I could definitely see that one coming. *grins*

Faramir would be all about forward thinking and careful moves, Eomer would throw everything he had at the other side - risky, but sometimes it would pay off spectacularly.

What's funny about this to me is that Isabeau once described Imrahil and Andra playing chess and they had similar methodologies, Imrahil playing like Eomer and Andra like Faramir. Another reason Imri and Eomer get along so well! Maybe they should play each other.

Denise
Posted:Mar 5, 2006 15:42 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [6] Denise wrote: What's funny about this to me is that Isabeau once described Imrahil and Andra playing chess and they had similar methodologies, Imrahil playing like Eomer and Andra like Faramir. Another reason Imri and Eomer get along so well! Maybe they should play each other.

I direct this nuzgul towards an author far more accomplished with both characters *ducks and runs!*

Altariel
Posted:Mar 6, 2006 12:49 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [7] How about another collaboration?!? I can't overemphasize how much I enjoy the two that you and Isabeau have written so far. Of course, it sounded like you and she have one in the works, so I already have something wonderful to look forward to in that department!

Denise
Posted:Mar 6, 2006 14:21 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [8] There is indeed a collaboration in the works, once I can get my act together to produce the next part...

Altariel
Posted:Mar 6, 2006 14:52 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [9] Denise wrote: What's funny about this to me is that Isabeau once described Imrahil and Andra playing chess and they had similar methodologies, Imrahil playing like Eomer and Andra like Faramir. Another reason Imri and Eomer get along so well! Maybe they should play each other.

Altariel wrote: I direct this nuzgul towards an author far more accomplished with both characters *ducks and runs!*

What is it with people this week? Thank you, but I have enough on my plate already, don't you think? You're not the one with all these WIPs!

Isabeau
Posted:Mar 6, 2006 20:11 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [10] Altariel wrote: There is indeed a collaboration in the works, once I can get my act together to produce the next part...

And stop pitching nuzguls in your writing partner's direction....;-)

Isabeau (waiting patiently)
Posted:Mar 6, 2006 20:14 GMT  Reply to this Comment
[1] 2 3

  Post A Comment
A Mike Kellner Web Site
Tolkien Characters, Locations, & Artifacts © Tolkien Estate & Designated Licensees - All Rights Reserved
Stories & Other Content © The Respective Authors - All Rights Reserved
Software & Design © 2003 - 2014 Michael G Kellner All Rights Reserved
Hosted by:Raven Studioz