Tolkien Fan Fiction Home Tolkien Fan FictionAll the tales of the Valar and the Elves are so knit together that one may scarce expound any one without needing to set forth the whole of their great history.
Read Journal Entry
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Journal Main Page  Isabeau's Journal  Back
Isabeau's Journal
The place to discuss my stories and other Tolkien-related topics.
Profile:Isabeau


Blog_display


:

Blackbow and the Ithilien Rangers

By:Isabeau
 February, 25 2006

The place to discuss this eternal WIP. Also a good place for Ranger questions. Suggestions upon ways to get Faramir's shirt off in the next chapters are also appreciated.


  Post A Comment

1 2 3 [4]
36 replies


 [31] Gronyats had commented upon his "I think I'm in love," comment, wondering if perhaps he might very well have proposed to Heth had he returned. It's hard to say. In an AU situation where his father was alive, it's a possibility. Now whether she would have accepted is another matter.

To me, this doesn't really makes sense. The reason Denethor urged marriage was not primarily to get him married, but to get an heir for the House of Hrin. And until Elrond healed Heth in CMC, that was no possibility (and they are aware of that in Blackbow). So you would not only have Boromir slighting Denethor with a no-name, no-family-tree, no-useful-connections (apart from suspicious Northern ties *g*) wife, but you also wouldn't get any children out of the "deal".

Unless Boromir would contemplate it just to spite Denethor - because of Andra, and because of Finduilas. And despite his feelings, which he made clear to Denethor before he left for Imladris (the blackmail), I don't think he would go so far against his father the Steward.

Apart from Heth agreeing in the first place, of course, as you say. I do think it would not be totally out of the question for her: she likes Boromir and if she would see it as mutual help, and I could see real affection growing between them (and with Faramir unreachable)...

Imhiriel


Posted:Oct 10, 2009 10:02 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [32] Actually, Imhiriel reminded me of something I wondered about before. Would Boromir have known Heth was barren? After all, like his relationship with Andra, its not exactly common knowledge. I got the impression from Visions that he didn't know, which is why he amuses himself by briefly contemplating Denethor's reaction if he married her. Of course, given that he's not thinking about it seriously anyway, I could be wrong.

Lisa
Posted:Oct 10, 2009 14:04 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [33] Imrhiriel wrote: Unless Boromir would contemplate it just to spite Denethor - because of Andra, and because of Finduilas. And despite his feelings, which he made clear to Denethor before he left for Imladris (the blackmail), I don't think he would go so far against his father the Steward.

Oh, I think my Boromir would-so long as Faramir was alive to produce heirs. I think he would have no problem at all adhering to the letter of Denethor's request while denying him an heir.

Lisa wrote: Actually, Imhiriel reminded me of something I wondered about before. Would Boromir have known Heth was barren? After all, like his relationship with Andra, its not exactly common knowledge. I got the impression from Visions that he didn't know, which is why he amuses himself by briefly contemplating Denethor's reaction if he married her. Of course, given that he's not thinking about it seriously anyway, I could be wrong.

No, he's not privy to that bit of information, but if you recollect his musing in Visions, where he talks about sleeping with Heth chaste as a brother and sister, he would have no intention of sleeping with her. And that's not from distaste (I actually think Heth might be as appealing to him as a woman could be, her being somewhat mannish), but rather his acknowledgment that she had been tortured and raped by the orcs and would not want to have sex with anyone. His thoughts on the matter would be that they got along well as friends, so marrying her would not be difficult, and that since she's not interested in sex, she probably wouldn't care where he went to take care of his needs. So he could marry according to his father's dictates, give Heth a huge boost in status, not produce any children and have Andra all to himself. Win-win all around.

Isabeau
Posted:Oct 10, 2009 14:34 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [34] Imrhiriel wrote: Unless Boromir would contemplate it just to spite Denethor - because of Andra, and because of Finduilas. And despite his feelings, which he made clear to Denethor before he left for Imladris (the blackmail), I don't think he would go so far against his father the Steward.

Oh, I think my Boromir would-so long as Faramir was alive to produce heirs. I think he would have no problem at all adhering to the letter of Denethor's request while denying him an heir.

Lisa wrote: Actually, Imhiriel reminded me of something I wondered about before. Would Boromir have known Heth was barren? After all, like his relationship with Andra, its not exactly common knowledge. I got the impression from Visions that he didn't know, which is why he amuses himself by briefly contemplating Denethor's reaction if he married her. Of course, given that he's not thinking about it seriously anyway, I could be wrong.

No, he's not privy to that bit of information, but if you recollect his musing in Visions, where he talks about sleeping with Heth chaste as a brother and sister, he would have no intention of sleeping with her. And that's not from distaste (I actually think Heth might be as appealing to him as a woman could be, her being somewhat mannish), but rather his acknowledgment that she had been tortured and raped by the orcs and would not want to have sex with anyone. His thoughts on the matter would be that they got along well as friends, so marrying her would not be difficult, and that since she's not interested in sex, she probably wouldn't care where he went to take care of his needs. So he could marry according to his father's dictates, give Heth a huge boost in status, not produce any children and have Andra all to himself. Win-win all around.

Isabeau
Posted:Oct 10, 2009 15:20 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [35] Imrhiriel wrote: Unless Boromir would contemplate it just to spite Denethor.

Gronyats writes - That was exactly what I was thinking. What better way to inflict revenge upon Denethor than his favorite son not produce an heir. Marrying the offspring of a Ranger of the north who refused to back down to Denethor. All the while acting like the dutiful son, "Well, I did what you requested. It's not my fault she can't get pregnant"!

Denethor would have seen his least favorite son heirs carry on the family business.

Gronyats
Posted:Oct 10, 2009 22:00 GMT  Reply to this Comment


 [36] test comment

mk
Posted:Dec 20, 2009 15:08 GMT  Reply to this Comment
1 2 3 [4]

  Post A Comment
A Mike Kellner Web Site
Tolkien Characters, Locations, & Artifacts © Tolkien Estate & Designated Licensees - All Rights Reserved
Stories & Other Content © The Respective Authors - All Rights Reserved
Software & Design © 2003 - 2014 Michael G Kellner All Rights Reserved
Hosted by:Raven Studioz